Today I’m taking a break from life aboard The Queen Elizabeth and I’m roaming the streets of Athens. We’re about to meet up with Nikos Tonga, a graphic designer who paints the walls of this ancient city under his street art name; Rude. He also does guided art tours for a company called alternative Athens. He’ll walk us through what’s happening in the alleyways under the acropolis, and fill us in on how the economic crisis has affected the arts scene here.
Our Guest Artist: Athens Street Artists Nikos Tonga, aka “Rude”
Our Host Artist: Carol McQuaid www.carolmcquaidart.com
Our Bar: B Social Cafe Bar in Psirri, Athens Greece
Now let’s head to the B Social Cafe Bar in the Psirri district of Athens and listen in as Nikos and I talk street art from tagging to calligraphy, and what it felt like when he hit his first wall.
In this episode you’ll hear about:
- Guiding street art tours with Alernative Athens
- Creating street art under the name “Rude”
- Art education in Greece
- The realities of working as an artist through the economic crisis
- How the current situation in Greece shows up in street art
- A giant Durer inspired piece and what it means
- A few of Nikos’ favourite artists
- The story of the Riot Dog mural
- Where to find great street art in Athens
Follow our Podcast on
Follow our Host on
Join the Conversation!
One of my favorite parts of recording a podcast each week is participating in the great conversations they spark. Share your feedback and favourite moments on social media, and in the comments section of each episode page.
And remember, if you love the episode, head to the webpage where you can bit.ly/buyusaround
Join us at The Bar
Where to find Two Artists Podcast
- Website: www.twoartistswalkintoabar.com
- iTunes: http://bit.ly/2artistspodcast
- Instagram, Facebook and Twitter @2artistpodcast
- YouTube: http://bit.ly/2artistsyoutube
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Thanks for listening! Cheers
Thanks for tuning in to Two artists walk into a bar. I’m your host artist carol mcquaid.
our shownotes at www.twoartistswalkintoabar.com If you like the show go ahead and subscribe and forward the link to your favourite art friends, and if you love the show head to the website where you can buy us our next round.