Wine Night with Artist Whisperer Pennylane Shen
Our Guest Artist: Pennylane Shen of Dazed and Confucius www.dazedandconfucius.com
Our Host Artist: Carol McQuaid www.carolmcquaidart.com
Our Bar: Campagnolo www.campagnolorestaurant.ca
In this episode you’ll hear about:
- How we met (clue: it involves Thrive Mastermind)
- Her life as an artist consultant and how that differs from art consultant
- Her business Dazed and Confucius and what they do
- Having a foot in the commercial gallery world and the unique perspective that provides/affords her
- What gallerists really wish we artists knew
- Working with hospitals and charitable foundations on their art collections
- The international workshops and consults she does around the globe
- The four different seminars she teaches:
- How it Looks presentation, framing and hanging
- How it Sounds art writing
- Navigating the Art Industry
- Outbox (all things digital)
- What are some of the common things that artists need to hear?
- Talking about ham, lettuce and tomato clients (what?!)
- Attending Visual Culture Theory at NYU first year of the programs existence!
- My fave quote of the evening: “Turns out anger is way more powerful than curiosity. Use your anger.
- Why she chose to follow the business and strategic side of the art world rather than being a studio artist
- Art school; cash grab or awesome opportunity?
- What does Dazed and Confuscius do exactly? Advising, web work, Ghost writing artist statements
- At about the one hour mark Pennylane shares the best one size fits all advice she has for emerging artists everywhere
- We finish off with a fun story set in an Los Angeles bar
Follow Pennylane and Dazed and Confucius on
- instagram @dazed.and.confucius
Follow our Podcast on
Follow our Host on
Join the Conversation!
One of my favorite parts of recording a podcast each week is participating in the great conversations they spark. Share your feedback and favourite moments on social media, and in the comments section of each episode page.
And remember, if you love the episode, head to the webpage where you can bit.ly/buyusaround
Explore these Resources
In this episode, we mentioned the following resources:
- Join us at The Bar
Where to find Two Artists Podcast
- Website: www.twoartistswalkintoabar.com
- iTunes: http://bit.ly/2artistspodcast
- Instagram, Facebook and Twitter @2artistpodcast
- YouTube: http://bit.ly/2artistsyoutube
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Thanks for listening! Cheers