Spoken Word Artist: Julia Pileggi www.juliapileggi.com
and Host Artist: Carol McQuaid www.carolmcquaidart.com
Our Bar: The Bimini in Vancouver
Our guest artist today is poet and spoken word performer Julia Pileggi. I watched her perform at an opening at the Arts Factory and just had to have her on the show.
Lean in at the Bimini while Julia and I swap stories and she performs three of her pieces live on the spot. Amazing.
In this episode you’ll hear about:
- Performance: “Us at the Beach” written for her younger brother
- On her big Italian family and how they show up in her work “Loud is a normal volume for us”
- The role of delivery in spoken word
- Instagram and sharing snippets of poetry as art throughout April: National poetry month @juliapileggipoetry
- “Go in Poet” and what it means
- The big writing topics; love, sex, food, family and self worth
- Balancing the feelings of friends and lovers as they’re appearing in her work
- Performance: “When You Were Gone”
- where opportunities to perform come from
- Work habits: binge writing vs steady writing
- “These 5 Minutes”, writing prompts called ‘daily dip’ Julia and her writing partner have been writing and posting daily since 2011!
- Living in Italy going to language school learning Italian in order to communicate with her Nona (grandmother)
- The realization that she wanted to be a writer and her first writing project, age 7, called “The Geek Who Followed Me Home”
- On education; studying theatre and playwriting at university, taking comedy writing at Second City, and studying the craft on her own
- Future goals, writing and stage shows
- Performance: “The Restaurant Rap” a rap from her days as a server that she wrote during her Second City days
- After which we swap waitressmare stories
- Her goods: prints with poetry and art, chapbooks
- Vancouver poetry slam page youtube
- Upcoming: a series of food poems
- Stay tuned until the end as Julia gives us another awesome punchline for the show title.
Follow Julia on
- instagram @juliapileggipoetry
Follow our Podcast on
Follow our Host on
Join the Conversation!
One of my favorite parts of recording a podcast each week is participating in the great conversations they spark. Share your feedback and favourite moments on social media, and in the comments section of each episode page.
And remember, if you love the episode, head to the webpage where you can bit.ly/buyusaround
Explore these Resources
In this episode, we mentioned the following resources:
- Vancouver Poetry Slam Page on YouTube – Julia Pileggi
- “These 5 Minutes” writing prompts page www.thesefiveminutes.com
Join us at The Bar
Where to find Two Artists Podcast
- Website: www.twoartistswalkintoabar.com
- iTunes: http://bit.ly/2artistspodcast
- Instagram, Facebook and Twitter @2artistpodcast
- YouTube: http://bit.ly/2artistsyoutube
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Thanks for listening! Cheers